The month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and we at Bright Care Medical Group are paying close attention to this particular illness that greatly affects our patients of all genders. Breast cancer is one of the most common diagnosed cancers, which occurs when breast cells begin to grow abnormally and divide faster than normal, causing lumps of metastasized cells that travel through the lymph nodes and other parts of the body.
Risk factors for developing breast cancer include age, inherited genes, family history, radiation exposure, obesity, being pregnant or starting menopause at older ages, substance abuse, and postmenopausal hormone therapy. Though these are clear factors that can increase the risk of breast cancer, some patients develop the illness despite the lack of any risk factors whatsoever, which could indicate genetic alterations that cause breast cancer.
Some warning signs of breast cancer include:
- New lump in the breast or underarm (armpit).
- Thickening or swelling in a part of the breast.
- Irritation on breast skin.
- Redness or flaky skin in the nipple area or the breast.
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk, including blood.
- Any change in the size or the shape of the breast.
- Pain in the nipple or any area of the breast.
Despite all the risk factors that can affect any of our patients, there are many ways to prevent breast cancer, which in turn can also improve your health and overall lifestyle. Here are seven ways to help prevent breast cancer:
- Limit alcohol to no more than one drink a day.
- Maintain a healthy weight and reduce the number of calories.
- Eat healthy foods and improve your diet to regulate other illnesses.
- Be physically active and increase the amount of exercise you do per week.
- Limit postmenopausal hormone therapy, which could potentially increase the risk of breast cancer drastically.
- Stay vigilant about signs and symptoms of breast cancer to detect them early.
This Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it’s important to learn the best methods to protect yourself and your loved ones from breast cancer. The health of our patients is important to our practice, and raising awareness about breast cancer is a goal that Bright Care Medical Group strives to achieve, as well as finding the best treatments and prevention strategies to protect your well-being. We are here to help you with the best medical knowledge so you can live your life at its fullest.
You can reach us by calling (352) 708-3021 to learn more about Bright Care Medical Group’s additional services, or visit our website at www.brightcaremedical.com